Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Childhood Game Designs: "Guts: III"

I found this old photo of me and my good friend Brent playing with a game I made.  It was a fighting game where you would control characters made of paper that were attached to metal hangars.  You would slam the characters into each other, and guts would spill out of a container I built into each character's stomach.  The player that lost all of their guts lost.  The game was creatively called "Guts: III".  I think I was inspired by "Mortal Kombat" and "Samurai Shodown" at the time.

I would generally make my version of games that were in the arcade or I did not have money to buy.  Before making video games, I would use boxes, paper, wire hangars, tape, markers and anything else I could get my hands on to make games that approximated video games as closely as possible.  I wonder what kids use these days to make their game ideas.  If you have any links to games you made as kids please share, I would love to see them!

1 comment:

blob said...

Haha that's pretty awesome. I've never been good with my hands to create stuff except for drawing. So when I was a kid I was spending HOURS drawing imaginary video games levels. I was using pages and pages of print paper all tape together to draw giant levels with platforms, monsters, bonuses and lava pits.

Post a Comment